Friday, December 4, 2009

Allergic

It's official!!

As we suspected already, our little Aubrie girl is allergic to milk and eggs! 
Yesterday I took her to an allergist and they tested away.  They were going to test her for peanut butter and fish, but I told them she eats PB&J's on a regular basis and that she has eaten fish and has been fine so they so there was no need to poke her with those two tests.  
The doctor lady looked at me like I was crazy when she asked me if we had an Epi pen on hand and I told her that we hadn't.  What?!! Really?!! Obviously I was there for a reason... to find out what we needed to do about her allergy... why would I have already had an Epi pen. Needless to say she prescribed me two sets.  Each set has two epi pens included and a DVD that shows me how to use it. Great! 
For the test, I had to hold Aubrie so that she was laying perfectly flat while they marked her back with an H for histamine, S for saline, M for milk, and E for eggs and pricked her back four times. My poor baby was screaming and she couldn't see anything because she had to be looking straight down so her back would stay flat for the next 20 minutes.  The nurses threatened a little, that if she moved at all the test wouldn't work and would have to be redone. I tried walking around  with her, singing to her, we put on a movie, turned out the lights, but she wouldn't stop screaming.  After five minutes I couldn't handle it that my little sweetpea had just gotten pricked and couldn't calm down so I laid down on a chair (sounds kinda impossible, but I pretty much just supported part of my body with the chair and partly with my legs- not so comfortable) and while keeping her flat the entire time I laid her on my body. She calmed down immediately.  Fifteen minutes later they came to check the test and confirmed that just as we had suspected she was allergic.  
Then they sent us next door to the Children's Hospital to have her blood drawn. Awesome.  She must have thought I was so mean. She did great, of course.  She stopped crying the moment the needle came out.  Poor baby! Poked and prodded like a champ.  They wanted to give her the flu vaccine and the H1N1 shot yesterday, but since she has an egg allergy they have to do a half a dose, watch her for 30 minutes then administer the second half and watch her again for 30 minutes to make sure she doesn't have some kind of crazy reaction.  I opted out. For now at least.  We will see how I feel in a few days.


3 comments:

Melanie said...

Poor Aubs. That prick test is so mean isn't it?! Bentley got pricked 30+ times and it was NOT fun! I'm sorry to hear that she has allergies. At least you have some answers now.

Sarah said...

Poor thing! I had those tests when I in Jr High. They weren't fun for me either! Now you can have a game plan though.

Sarah said...
This comment has been removed by the author.

Baby Guessing Game