Sunday, June 7, 2009

Texas or Bust.

Our  journey began Friday morning.
One last family picture in Vegas. 
The sign says, "Texas or Bust."
We crossed over the Hoover Dam into Arizona...
...here's the crazy bridge that is being built!!
We drove through a couple of the craziest "dust storms" we have ever seen.
It was extremely windy on Friday... to say the least!
We drove past Devil Dog Road in AZ...
 The Grand Canyon state was beautiful... I especially loved the Flagstaff area! 
It was so green and pretty.
Aubrie's 1st rest stop and we filled up the gas tank! 
She loved letting the air from the vent blow her hair and in her face!

I guess we were driving too fast or something and totally missed the "Welcome to New Mexico" sign. NM is supposedly "The Land of Enchantment." We did NOT concur. It was a pretty boring state to drive through... not very scenic... but I am sure we just didn't drive through the good parts! :) We got a shot of the sign for the welcome center!
We took another break in Albuquerque, NM and Aubs was having an extra fun time smashing her face on the window! We ate at Quiznos, but were tempted to get burgers at a place called Whataburger... we passed on that idea not knowing how they would make us feel for the rest of our drive.  On that note: There are plenty of Whataburger's in Dallas and we even heard that they are AWESOME so we will give an update once we try them!
We finally arrived in good ole' Texas!
After we saw the welcome sign I realized that the speed limits changed from 75 MPH in NM to 70MPH (during the day) and 65 MPH (at night) in TX. WHAT?!!!
Does a lesser speed limit on a freeway make YOU a "friendlier driver?"
After 15 hours of driving we reached our destination in Amarillo, TX.  We stayed the night at a cozy Comfort Inn and had a good night sleep in our nice King size bed with probably 10 pillows on it! Thanks mom! We woke up early the next morning to pack the car and get back on the road, but stopped in the lobby to grab a quick FREE breakfast.  
YES folks that is a belgian waffle the shape of Texas. True story.  I took a picture of someone else's cause I wasn't hungry enough to make one. We grabbed a little food and got back on the road again.

So I know this picture is really gross, but I had to post it for memory's sake. Here's the story to go w/ it: Aubrie was being such a good girl the whole trip, so we were literally one hour away from Dallas and we thought she was maybe being "too good" for being awake for so long... so I started testing the waters and she just sat there with a little smile on her face and we realized it had been a while since we last changed her so we stopped at a truck stop along the freeway and to our surprise she had a MAJOR blowout! This picture cannot even do it justice.  It was everywhere... and since we had no bath we took our water bottle (thank goodness the water was warm!) and poured it down on her so we could clean her up! It was so funny! She was such a trooper through the whole thing and didn't even get cranky! She was probably wondering what all the commotion was about! It was pretty dang funny!
This picture was really just taken to give a shout out to our beloved and sometimes not so loved street "Decatur" or as I like to call it "Dec a tur" in the LV.  It was a small town we drove through in TX on our way to Dallas.
We finally arrived in Dallas around 3 pm on Saturday and the filled out our leasing contract for the next hour or so, then we went grocery shopping at Tom Thumb.  
Our sweet friends invited us over to eat dinner at their place so we ordered up some Papa John's and ate our little hearts out.  Since we were all still waiting for the moving truck to arrive, none of us had furniture yet,  so we ate on the floor and played baby games on the floor and of course made fun of ourselves for it! It was actually a lot of fun!
This is part of our townhome, with nothing in it.  Here's last nights sleeping arrangements being modeled by Aubrie.

Here is Aubrie earlier today, enjoying her new home and munching on a biter biscuit! 

Oh and yesterday we noticed that her two bottom teeth have finally cut through her gums.  
I will take a picture when they are easier to see! 
She has been so cute! 
She keeps  sticking out her tongue and biting her fingers to feel them.
We are having a blast here in TX, but already miss everybody back at home.  
I will post with more pics after we get some unpacking done!

2 comments:

Libby said...

how exciting to start a new adventure...just your little family on your own. glad you made it there safely. jeff will be in dallas in sep for the ok-byu game.

cmeeder said...

I miss you guys already. I miss that girl so much too!!! I can't believe her teeth came in! I will give you two thumbs up for keeping us posted! Give her a kiss for me, will you?

Baby Guessing Game